Jeffrey has spent most of his life so far in Toronto, Canada but has managed to live, work and study in Zurich, London, Rotterdam, Berlin, Seoul, Singapore, Tokyo and Sydney. He is a trans-disciplinary experiential designer who has worked on catwalk and fashion show designs for PRADA and Miu Miu, advertising and gallery curation for KesselsKramer, and architecture and exhibition designs for the Office for Metropolitan Architecture / Rem Koolhaas.
Jeffrey was a Co-Founder of Cliquefund. Cliquefund is a mobile, community patronage platform for socially-motivated startups. He was interviewed live on Channel News Asia in 2013 on the topic of crowdfunding. He was also featured on Digital News Asia and Tech in Asia.
As an artist, Jeffrey has exhibited in venues such as the Barbican and Southbank Centre in London, United Kingdom, for festivals such as the Singapore Design Festival, and in galleries in Munster, Berlin, Vienna, Crete and Tokyo.
As a scholar Jeffrey has performed demos, published papers and written book chapters in venues such as UBICOMP, CSCW, IEEE Haptics Symposium, SIGGRAPH, SIGDOC, ISMAR, ACM CIE, MONU Magazine and more. Jeffrey was an invited speaker at TEDx Zurich and PechaKucha, and has also spoken on panels at the ICA, The Art House Singapore, and other forums. He was also a PC member in ACE and UBICOMM, and was an invited reviewer for journals and conferences such as Leonardo, AHCI, DIS and CHI. Jeffrey has won awards for his research projects including the Creative Showcase Golden Award at ACE2010, and is a recipient of the NGS scholarship from the National University of Singapore.
In the past he studied Semiotics and Fashion Photography, and was awarded his BFA in Monumental Kunst from the Aki Academy of Art and Design (ArtEZ) in Enschede, the Netherlands and an MA in Creative Practice for Narrative Environments from Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design in London, United Kingdom.
He earned his PhD at the NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering, at the National University of Singapore, and was a visiting research scholar at Keio University, and visiting research scholar at NEC C&C Laboratories, both in Japan, where his research interests focus on various topics regarding organic user interfaces, robotics, tele-presence dining and experiential design. He was also previously a Department Editor for the Association for Computing Machinery’s (ACM) Crossroads (XRDS) magazine. He is a Mendeley.com Advisor and is a member of both the IEEE and ACM.
Jeffrey works at UNSW Art & Design as an Associate Lecturer, conducting research with the Creative Robotics Laboratory at the National Institute for Experimental Arts.
- PhD in Integrative Sciences and Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2015
- MA in Creative Practice for Narrative Environments, Central Saint Martins College, 2008
- BFA in Monumental Kunst, Aki Academy for Art and Design, 2005
Journals & Magazines
- Hooman Samani, Elham Saadatian, Natalie Pang et al. (2013) Cultural Robotics: The Culture of Robotics and Robotics in Culture, 10. In International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 10 (400). http://www.intechopen.com/journals/international_journal_of_advanced_robotic_systems/cultural-robotics-the-culture-of-robotics-and-robotics-in-culture
- Zhu, K., Nii, H., Fernando, O. N. N., Koh, J. T. K. V., Aue, K., & Cheok, A. D. (2013). Designing Interactive Paper-Craft Systems with Selective Inductive Power Transmission. Interacting with Computers, 25(2), 143-153. http://iwc.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/2/143.short
- Peiris, R. L., Koh, J. T. K. V., Tharakan, M. J., Fernando, O. N. N., & Cheok, A. D. (2013). AmbiKraf Byobu: Merging Technology with Traditional Craft. Interacting with Computers, 25(2), 173-182. http://iwc.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/2/173.short
- Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Kening Zhu, Kasun Karunanayaka et al. (2013) Characterizing the Analog-like and Digital-like Attributes of Interactive Systems, 8-36. In Communication of Design Quarterly 1 (2). http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2448928
- Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Kasun Karunanayaka, Jose Sepulveda et al. (2011) Liquid Interface : A Malleable , Transient , Direct-Touch Interface, 1-8. In Computers in Entertainment (CIE) 9 (2). http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1998378
- Karin Aue, Jeffrey Koh (2010) The Urban Rhythm, 25-32. In MONU Magazine #13 Most Valuable Urbanism. http://www.mendeley.com/download/public/1783841/3750182612/ee60698435daa5294394702529f936111604833d/dl.pdf
- Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Kening Zhu, Roshan Lalintha Peiris et al. (2013) A Hierarchy of Needs for Developing Interactive Artworks, Systems and Products, 268-272. In HCI International 2013 – Posters’ Extended Abstracts Communications in Computer and Information Science Volume 374. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-39476-8_55
- Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Kasun Karunanayaka, Ryohei Nakatsu (2013) Linetic : Technical , Usability and Aesthetic Implications of a Ferrofluid-Based Organic User Interface, 180-195. In Human-Computer Interaction–INTERACT 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-40477-1_11
- Hooman Aghaebrahimi Samani, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Elham Saadatian et al. (2012) Towards Robotics Leadership : An Analysis of Leadership Characteristics and the Roles Robots will Inherit in Future Human Society, 158-165. In Intelligent Information and Database Systems. http://www.springerlink.com/content/38p748j5q2475127/
- Hooman Aghaebrahimi Samani, Adrian David Cheok, Mili John Tharakan et al. (2011) A Design Process for Lovotics, 118-125. In HUMAN-ROBOT PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering. http://www.springerlink.com/content/w1827r2705239413/
- Kasun Karunanayaka, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Eishem Bilal Naik et al. (2011) Hall Effect Sensing Input and Like Polarity Haptic Feedback in the Liquid Interface System, 141-145. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7040 (Ambient Intelligence). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-25167-2_16
- Belinda J Dunstan, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh (2014) A cognitive model for human willingness in human-robot interaction development, 1-4. In SIGGRAPH Asia 2014 Designing Tools For Crafting Interactive Artifacts on – SIGGRAPH ASIA ’14. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2668947.2668952
- Scott Brown, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh (2014) Responsive multisensory environments as a tool to facilitate social engagement in children with an autism spectrum disorder, 1-4. In SIGGRAPH Asia 2014 Designing Tools For Crafting Interactive Artifacts on – SIGGRAPH ASIA ’14. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2668947.2668949
- Yan Yan Cao, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Koh (2012) A Musical Feast: How Musical Performance Using Playful Utensils Can Enrich the Cooking and Dining Experience, 196-204. In UBICOMM 2012, The Sixth International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies. http://www.thinkmind.org/index.php?view=article&articleid=ubicomm_2012_9_10_10066
- James K. S. Teh, Zhenling Tsai, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh et al. (2012) Mobile Implementation and User Evaluation of the Huggy Pajama System, 471-478. In IEEE Haptics Symposium 2012. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6183833
- Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Roshan Lalintha Peiris, Kening Zhu et al. (2012) Uncovering analogness and digitalness in interactive media, 233. In Proceedings of the 30th ACM international conference on Design of communication – SIGDOC ’12. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2379057.2379103
- Jun Wei, Xuan Wang, Roshan Lalintha Peiris et al. (2011) CoDine : An Interactive Multi-sensory System for Remote Dining. In 13th ACM International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing. http://www.ubicomp.org/ubicomp2011/index.html
- Jun Wei, Roshan Lalintha Peiris, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh et al. (2011) Food Media : Exploring Interactive Entertainment over Telepresent Dinner. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology – ACE ’11. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2071423.2071455
- Jun Wei, Adrian David Cheok, Xavier Roman Martinez et al. (2011) FoodGenie, 1-1. In SIGGRAPH Asia 2011 Emerging Technologies on – SA ’11. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2073370.2073392
- Adrian David Cheok, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh, Roshan Lalintha Peiris et al. (2011) Mixed Reality Lab Singapore : A Genealogy of Lab Projects Employing the Blue Sky Innovation Research Methodology. In CSCW ’11: ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work. http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1958824.1958828
- Yongsoon Choi, Adrian David Cheok, Veronica Halupka et al. (2010) Flavor visualization: Taste guidance in co-cooking system for coexistence, 53-60. In 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality – Arts, Media, and Humanities. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/lpdocs/epic03/wrapper.htm?arnumber=5643293
- Roland Aigner, Daniel Wigdor, Hrvoje Benko et al. (2012) Understanding Mid-Air Hand Gestures : A Study of Human Preferences in Usage of Gesture Types for HCI, 10. http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=175454
- Adrian David Cheok, Jose Ramon Sepulveda, Jeffrey Koh et al. (2010) US Provisional Patent Application No. 61/382,374 – Liquid Interfaces – A Malleable Interface Using Direct Interaction for 3D Representation.
- The Arts House, Singapore, SG – Mirai, February 2012
- Barbican Art Gallery, London, UK – OMA/Progress, October 2011
- Singapore Design Festival 2009, Singapore, SG – Fight With Flowers, November 2009
- University College London/Garage Theatre, London, UK – What Good are the Arts? March 2007
- Fondazione Prada, Milan, IT – PRADA Catwalk Woman SS 2008, September 2007
- Sternen Staub, Berlin, DE – Solo Exhibition, May 2006
- Zhaus: The Livingroom Exhibitions, Vienna, AUS – Performance Artist, March 2006
- Bookville, Newcastle, UK – International Week, March 2005
- Kloster Bentlage/Kulturforum, Rheine, DE – O Sole Mio, January 2004
- Cinema Münster, Münster, DE – Stichting Silo, October 2004
Selected Invited Talks
- Skylar Tibbits & Jeffrey Koh Masterclass (2014) Vivid Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- A Young Replicant’s Illustrated Primer for Robot-Human Collaboration (2014) Symposium & Workshops: Feral Experimental, Syndey, Australia.
- Serendipity, or Things Probably Not Covered in your Probability Class (2013) National Taipei University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Towards Robotic Leadership (2013) PechaKucha #6, Homeclub, Singapore, SG.
- Global & Local: A View of Croudfunding @ Home & Around the World (2012) Social Innovation Camp Asia, Kuala Lumpur, MY.
- Experiential Design (2012) Mirai: The Story of CUTE, Designing Experiences, The Arts House, Singapore, SG.
- Patricia R. Zimmermann, Adrian David Cheok, Jeffrey Tzu Kwan Valino Koh et al. (2010) International Communications Association Conference (ICA 2010) – Open Space: The Flexible Space of Interface and New Media Machines.
- TEDx Zurich (2010) Jef Koh Builds Animated Interactive Liquids. http://tedxzurich.ch/speaker/jef-koh/