The Design (Honours) program is a one-year advanced undergraduate degree for high achieving students who have completed an undergraduate degree in Design (or cognate area).
Duration 1 year full-time
The Design (Honours) degree is a one-year advanced undergraduate degree for high-achieving students, designed for those who have completed an undergraduate degree in Design and wish to extend their critical and creative skills. It enables students to advance their knowledge and understanding by developing a significant practice-led research project. Access to leading research labs and a selective professional placement program allow students to explore the potential of contemporary design.
Graduates develop a deeper understanding of design strategy, design methods and research, providing pathways to an array of careers in the design and cultural sectors, as well as to higher-degree research programs such as a Master of Philosophy or PhD.
Students must complete 48 UOC including the following core courses:
- DDES4101 Honours Studio Research Project 1 (12 UOC)
- DDES4102 Honours Studio Research Project 2 (12 UOC; this course is taken twice for a total of 24 UOC)
- DDES4200 Design Research Methods and Theory (6 UOC)
- ADAD4000 Professional Experience Project (6 UOC)
Students must have completed the UNSW Bachelor of Design or other cognate recognised Level 7 qualification. Entry to Honours requires a WAM of 70 or higher (or equivalent) in the relevant Level 7 qualification prior to entry. Entry is subject to resources and the approval of the Deputy Head of School, Design.
Graduates develop a deeper understanding of design strategy, design methods and research, providing pathways to higher-degree research programs such as a Master of Philosophy or PhD and an array of careers in the design and cultural sectors.
Our graduates are highly sought after across a broad range of professional design disciplines in global institutions, major corporations, bespoke agencies and studios.
Graduates find employment in areas including:
- Graphic design and digital media production
- Visual communication, brand identity and advertising
- Packaging, illustration and publishing
- 3D visualisation and virtual reality
- Interaction design and user experience (UX) design
- Environmental, spatial, interior and architectural design practices
- Object, furniture and lighting design
- Jewellery, wearables, fashion and textile design
- Film, television and mobile production
- Design for exhibitions, festivals, galleries and museums
- Costume, stage and set design
- Design writing, education and training
- Design management and strategy
- Social innovation, entrepreneurship, creative consultancies and design-led business3
If you can’t find the information you’re looking for or would like to speak with one of our advisors, please don’t hesitate to contact us