A PhD scholarship is available for exceptional students to complete a PhD in Design supervised by Scientia Professor and ARC Laureate Fellow Dennis Del Favero (UNSW, School of Art & Design) and Professor Maurice Pagnucco (UNSW, School of Computer Science & Engineering) beginning in 2021. The scholarship is available to undertake a practice-based design research PhD, which will focus on a range of areas including interaction and visual design.
The project undertaken by the successful PhD candidate will be closely aligned with a national ARC-funded project ‘Transforming rehearsal design using a digital aesthetic’. The national project is currently part of flagship research in the UNSW iCinema Centre for Interactive Cinema Research. It aims to practically enable creatives to immersively design using a networked visualisation platform at one-to-one scale. The project will transform how design can be applied to optimize interaction design in creative industry contexts. The project is undertaken in collaboration with a range of creative industry partners including Opera Australia. This scholarship provides industry immersion with the successful candidate embedded within a partner organisation for a minimum of one year of their candidature. The candidate will be part of an art, design and technology research team and will contribute to the participatory research process collaborating directly with creative industry practitioners.
- meet the UNSW PhD entry requirements.
- a four-year Bachelor's degree with Honours Class I from an Australian institution or equivalent research qualification experience. This qualification must be in a field relevant to the proposed area of research.
- be able to enrol as a full-time PhD student.
- a portfolio of design work that demonstrates knowledge of methods used in experience design such as interaction, graphic and interface design.
- Practical knowledge of graphic design software (e.g. Adobe creative suite).
- Experience in designing interfaces for AR, VR and mixed reality
- Knowledge and understanding of creative industry practices
- An interest and awareness of digital interaction
- Students will receive an annual living allowance of $33,281 for up to 3 years, beginning in 2021
- The scholarship is tax exempt
How to apply
To apply for this scholarship – or for more information about the project, eligibility or selection criteria – email Professor Dennis Del Favero (email@example.com). Please include your CV, academic transcripts, and a broad description of research interests (maximum 500 words).