UNSW Art & Design’s Makerspace is a platform and incubator for collaborative making and seeks to dissolve the gaps between the disciplines of art and design, science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
This interdisciplinary environment is designed to foster collaboration and cross faculty dialogue. UNSW’s maker club CREATE holds weekly sessions at our Makerspace where students from every Faculty at UNSW come to make and learn. Dorkbot Sydney also regularly use Makerspace for its activities and 'people doing strange things with electricity'.
We are inspired by the Maker movement, which is a global phenomenon at the forefront of innovation practices. The philosophies and values of sharing and creativity are at the heart of this grassroots movement. The Art & Design Makerspace and Workshops community actively espouse the Maker Manifesto and the following propositions are the basis for promoting making across our campus:
- We are all makers and we learn more through making and sharing
- What we can achieve is only limited by our imaginations
- At Art & Design our Makerspace is an environment where students themselves can direct the outcomes they achieve, they are no longer just consumers
- The Makerspace allows freedom for experimentation and a hands on making experience
- The Makerspace operates under the presumption that through collaboration we can fill any gaps in our knowledge base
- Through collaborative making the gaps between Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Design and Mathematics dissolve
- The Makerspace is a flexible environment designed to promote collaboration and adapt to multiple methods of making and feeds in to activities in our other Workshops and Labs.
Our Makerspace currently incorporates the following equipment:
- 3D Printers
- 3D Scanners
- State-of-the-art soldering facilities
- Computers and software for 3D Modelling and Arduino
- Arduino components
- Tools and benches
- Storage options
- Plus access to all of the tools and machinery in our other Workshop facilities after simple inductions.
Ph: +61 2 8936 0663
Visit: F Block Ground Floor
Hours: Mon to Fri, 9am-4.30pm
Jim Ward, Manager, Making Centre