+61 2 8936 0610
Fang Xu is currently an Associate Professor in the School of Design Studies, UNSW Art & Design where he is the Coordinator of Environments / Spatial Design. Fang Xu’s expertise is drawn from his cross-cultural background along with a broad range of professional practice and integrated design experience. With twenty-five years experience as a practicing designer and tertiary educator both in Australia and overseas, Fang has a deep understanding of the social influences and cultural values that shape modern design education and practice. His sound knowledge, skill and capability bring valuable expertise to his current teaching and research activities.
As a researcher, Fang’s research interests benefit from his cross-cultural experience and reflect his multi-discipline practice in the design industry. His research in the teaching area is on the relationship between culture, design process and design methodology. The research examines the influence of cultural manifestation in arts & design education in both Australian and Asian Universities contexts. It also investigates the integrated-disciplinary approach in design education to respond to the increasingly hybrid nature of the design profession in the real world.
In his practice area, he concentrates on the field of urban public space. It investigates the diverse features and multi-layered meanings of urban public space in a broader historical and cultural context. It explores the possibility of using urban open space structures as a mean and strategy of urbanization. By examining the influence of social, cultural, economic development on built environments in the process of urbanization, the research is both theoretical and practical for fast urbanizing environments in South East Asia, particularly in China.
As a practicing designer, through his constant involvement in competing with first-class national and international design institutes, Fang has gained a profound understanding of the cutting edge practices and the future trend of the profession. He has substantially built up his reputation and gained professional recognition by continuously winning a number of significant national-level urban design and architectural design projects. After many years’ involvement and completion of a large number of projects ranging from small budget objects to multimillion mixed-use developments, Fang has accumulated a rich experience about design practice in the building industry. His expertise and first-hand professional experience of the contemporary practice is very valuable for both teaching and learning.
SELECTED DESIGN AWARDS
- 2010 The Finalist of Australian Interior Design Awards 2010, Interior design for “Water Cool”, a Tea/Coffee House (240sqm), Beijing, PRC http://blog.cofa.unsw.edu.au/?p=2273 http://australianinteriordesignawards.com/gallery/2010/3/346
- 2007 The 1st Price of International Design Competition for the National History Museum of Overseas Chinese, Beijing (14,000sqm), PRC
- 2006 The 1st Price of International Concept Design Competition for National High Technology Park (7.1ha & 360,000sqm), WestLake District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, PRC
- 2005 The 2nd Price of International Concept Design Competition for planning for Ecotourism Park of mixed-use development (600ha), Xinhua, Jiangsu province, PRC
- 2004 Annual Design Award of Jiangsu province for Planning and Architectural design of the East Garden(16ha), Shenze town, Jiangsu province, PRC
- 2003 Award of the Best Landscape & Creative Design of Zhejiang province for Planning & Design of the Century Square(9ha.), new city centre district, Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, PRC
- 2002 National Award for Urban Renewal Design Project of design & renovating the Historical Commercial Street (420m long, 12-18m wide), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, PRC
- 2001 Award of Best Landscape Design of National Construction Ministry for residence district of Yongzhong Town(8ha), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, PRC
- 2001 The 1st Price of National Design Competition for design Headquarters of the Communication Bank (20,000sqm), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, PRC
- 1999 The Finalist of International Design Competition for History & Science Museum (36,000sqm), Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, PRC
- 1999 The 1st Price of International Concept Design Competition for The Urban Design of the Commercial & Culture Centre, Nanshan district (29.7ha), Shenzhen, Guangdong province, PRC
SELECTED EXECUTED DESIGN PROJECTS
- 9. 2011 The construction started from Sep. 2011. Planning, architectural and landscape design: National History Museum of Overseas Chinese (14,000sqm), Beijing
- 2007-2010 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Cultural Centre of LinQing City (26,000 sqm buildings including museum, art galleries and performing theater), ShanDong province, China
- 2009 Interior design: the Water Cool (240 sqm prestige tea/coffee room), CBD, ChaoYang district, Beijing.
- 2006-2010 Planning, architectural and landscape design: BeiHua Business Hotel (24,000 sqm), DongCheng district, Beijing
- 2005-2006 Planning, architectural, interior and landscape design: FengLian Mountain Resort (1400sqm), QingCheng Mountain, DuJiangYan city, SiChuan province, China
- 2004-2005 Planning, landscape design and sculpture/art works design: New City Cultural Square (90,000 sqm), LinQing city, ShanDong province, China
- 2003-2005 Architectural and landscape design: Mixed-use office (4800sqm) including design studios, offices and display rooms for Opal Furniture Company, WenZhou, ZheJiang province, China
- 2002-2004 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Mixed-use development for the Eastern Garden (16ha), Shi Chang Road, ShenZe Town, Wu Jiang city, JiangSu province, China
- 2001-2003 Planning, landscape and object design: New Urban Centre Square (92,000 sqm) and Landmark Glass Tower (68 m high), Wenzhou, ZheJiang province, China
- 1999-2002 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Urban Renewal Project of the Historical Commercial Street (420m long, 12-18m wide), Wenzhou, ZheJiang province, China
- 2000-2004 Planning, architectural, interior and landscape design: Headquarter of the Communication Bank (20,000sqm), Wenzhou, ZheJiang province, China
- 1999-2001 Planning, architectural and landscape design: Hai Tan mixed-use public commercial square design (16,000 sqm), Wen Zhou City, ZheJiang Province, China
- 1997 Planning, design& documentation: Water fountain and Open Space of China Town Mall Refurbishment, Brisbane, Australia
- 1995 -1996 Interior design and documentation: Renovation design for the Art Gallery/Museum (1,200sqm) of Brisbane City Hall, QLD, Australia
- 1993-1994 Planning, architecture and interior design for Gordon primary school & preschool, Gordon, Canberra, ACT, Australia
- 1992-1993 Architectural and interior design for the Gymnasium/Drama Centre, St Clare's College, Griffith, Canberra, ACT, Australia
- 1991 Architectural and interior Design for the residential building of retired Prof. Pentony’s house, New South Wales, Australia
- Xu, F. (2012) “Rediscovering the Hidden Values with an Alternative Approach in Old City Renewal Task”, ICWSAUD2012, March 3-5, 2012, School of Housing, Building and Planning, Univesiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
- Xu, F. (2011) “Approaching Meaningful Public Participation in Urban Planning Formulation”, ICBEDC 2011, 5th International Conference of Built Environments in Developing Countries, Dec.5-7, 2011, Penang, Malaysia
- Xu, F. (2011) “ Dimension of Social Innovation as New Perspective for Practice of Design Management”, 2011 Tsinghua – DMI International Design Management Symposium, Dec. 3-5, 2011, Hong Kong, hosted by the Design Management Institute of USA and Tsinghua University
- Xu, F. (2011) “Exploring Alternative Solution for Old City’s Core Area Renewal by New Approach of Design Intervention”, 2011 International Conference on Constructed Environment, 29-30 Oct. 2011, University Center, Chicago, USA
- Xu, F. (2010) “Analyizing the ‘Square Phenomena’ in the Last Decade in P.R. China”, ICBEDC 2010, 4th International Conference of Built Environments in Developing Countries, Dec.1-3, 2010, Penang, Malaysia
- Xu, F. (2010) “Studies of Asian Students’ Learning Experience & Project Models of Design Studio Practice”, Connected 2010, 2nd International Conference on Design Education, June 28 -July 1, 2010, UNSW, Sydney.
- Xu, F. (2009) “Analysis on the Relationship between Designers & Clients in China’s Design Market”, Design 2 Business 2009 & Tsinghua International Design Management Symposium, pp.242-245, hosted by University of Salford & Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Xu, F. (2007) “Design from within”, Designer Section, China Computer Consumer Magazine, p.9-10, (October 2007), Beijing, China
- Xu, F. (2007) “Planning & design of Bijia Mountain Park in Shenzhou”, Landscape Magazine, p.88-89, (August 2007), Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China
- Xu, F. (2007) Keynoter of Designer Forum, (August 2007), 20 Years Anniversary of China Industrial Design, Beijing, China (www.visionunion.com)
- Xu, F (2007) “Classic Beauty & Modern Style”, Life Express Magazine, p.73-89, (August 2007), Shanghai, China
- Xu, F. (2007) “Between & Across”, Life Express Magazine, p.57-73, (July 2007), Shanghai, China
- Xu, F., and Xu, L. (2006) Building Into Landscape. China International Press, Hong Kong
- Xu. F. & Zhang, X. W. (2005) “Space Combination & Space Notation Applied in Design of Square-taking Century Square in Wenzhou as an example”, Huazhong Architecture, (April 2005), Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China.